Dietician Anna Reid from the QMC gives her top tips for a healthy diet:
- Eat Regularly, don't skip breakfast!
- It is important that you eat regularly for your metabolism
- Eat five portions of fruit and vegetables daily - try having them as drinks and juices
- Starchy foods such as bread, cereals,rice, pasta and potatoes, should make up about a third of your daily intake.
- Cut down on saturated fats which are bad for your heart. Remember that full fat milk, cheese, sausages, bacon and pastry are to be avoided.
- Cut down on high calorie snacks such as crisps, cakes and sweets - eat fruit instead!
- Drink at least eight glasses of water or drinks each day.
- Alcohol is bad because it is pure calories. Stick to sensible limits and alternate with low calorie drinks and mixers.
- Don't rely too much on 'Takeaways' or convenience foods.
Watch the labelling on foods, particularly on ready-made meals. Try to choose a low fat food which contains less than 5 grams of fat per 100 grams.
Last Modified on: 05-12-2018