Thai foot massage is a massage that includes hands legs and feet and originated about 2000 years ago in Thailand. It is part of traditional Thai massage and has elements of Shiatsu, Chinese massage and Yoga incorporated into the therapy. It is still taught by Buddhist monks in the temples of Thailand. It is known as Thai refexology and it effects all the organs of the body.
When Buddhism began to spread to other parts of Asia, medical institutions and practices of the monastery went along as integral parts of the religious system. When Buddhism reached Thailand in the second or third century B.C., temples were built with adjacent dispensaries and medical schools. Massage and other healing arts were taught and applied in the monasteries and also within the family. In families it is mainly an oral tradition (as most members could not read) and also handed down from teacher to student.
It is easily understandable that compassionate monks and nuns would integrate any beneficial medical system to the one brought from India. It is also easy to understand that influence from China and other surrounding countries may have played a significant role in enriching the existing medical system. When one is unwell no helpful method should be disregarded. If it truly helps then it has to be considered a good thing. As to when and where ancient massage originated precisely as a long time has passed and many of the evidence has disappeared.
Benefits of Thai foot Massage:
- It is an effective treatment for improving the circulation in the legs, hands and feet
- It stimulates the Lymphatic drainage removing toxins and boosting the immune system
- It encourages more blood flow to the feet, hands and legs
- Increases oxygen to the feet hands and legs, bringing better circulation
- Reduces the possibility of developing arthritis and rheumatic conditions in the feet
- The massage will release stiffness and improve flexibility
- It will help the client feel more grounded as a result of their personal energy connecting with the earth energy
- It may also help relieve or alleviate stress, insomnia, mental tiredness and anxiety
- Deep consentration on the feet with pressure on the relevent organ points to stimulate the whole systems of the body.
- If you are up to 3 months pregnant
- If you are under the influence of alcohol or recreational drugs
- If you are ill or have a high temperature or fever
- If you have had a recent accident, ie whiplash or concussion
- If you are suffering from arthritis or rheumatism
- If you are suffering from very high or low blood pressure
- If you are suffering from any localised infectious/contagious skin disorders on the areas to be worked on
- In a case of a potentially fatal condition
- If you are suffering from Diabetes as likely to have blood clots in the feet
- If you suffer from weak bones
Last Modified on: 05-12-2018